Events on and around the Peninsula
1. Little Things Art Prize. What are the “little things” that make you feel happy or grateful? 2 categories – wall works & ceramics. Set size no bigger than 8cm in every direction. Entries close Thursday 9 August. Go to www.littlethingsartprize.com for details.
2. Kathleen McArthur: Wild/flower Women ll: Art, Environment and Activism Thursday 3 May to Sunday 17 June at Caloundra Regional Gallery, 22 Omrah Ave, Caloundra. Telephone: 5420 8299. Visit gallery.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au for details.
3. Murwillumbah Art Trail 2018: Moving On Friday 18 to Sunday 27 May at Murwillumbah NSW. Check the website for details, www.themurwillumbaharttrail.com
4. Simple Kiln Building & Firing with Dianne Peach on Saturday 19 from 1.30pm to 8pm and Sunday 20 May from 9.30am to 4pm at Brisbane Institute of Art, 41 Grafton Street, Windsor. Visit www.brisart.org for details.
5. Printmaking with clay with Stephanie Outridge Field on Sunday 20 and 27 May from 9.30am to 4.30pm at Benowa Studio, Gold Coast Potters Association. Check details on
6. Processing Brisbane’s Wild Clay on Thursday 24 May 6-8.30pm. Learn how to harvest and process Brisbane soil to produce workable pottery clay. Cost: $95. Visit https://artisan.org.au/blogs/workshops/brick-making.
7. CAQ’s Toolkit #3 Raku Firing Day with Shirley Battrick featuring horse hair and feather techniques at BIA, 41 Grafton Street Windsor on Sunday 3 June from 9.30am to 4pm. Cost: Members $65, Non-Members $100. Visit www.ceramicartsqld.org.au.
8. Mould Making Workshop with Lyn Russell by Gold Coast Potters Association on Sunday 3 June from 9.30am to 3.30pm at Mudgeeraba Studio, Mudgeeraba Heritage Centre, Mudgeeraba Road, Mudgeeraba. For booking, email Lyn on firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Stanthorpe Art Prize 2018 by Stanthorpe Art Gallery from Friday 15 to Tuesday 19 June offering total prize money $40,000. Entries closed midnight Wednesday 4 April 2018. For details, go to www.stanthorpeartprize.org.au.
10. Redcliffe Floral & Art Festival on Friday 22, Saturday 23 from 10am to 4pm and Sunday 24 June from 1pm to 4pm at St Peter the Fisherman Anglican Church, 13 Lucinda Street, Clontarf. Visit bramblebayanglican.com for details.
11. Generate by Moreton Bay Region Industry & Tourism and Moreton Bay Regional Council on Friday 29 and Saturday 30 June at Caboolture Town Square. Generate will aim to showcase the talents of local artists, groups and schools. They are currently seeking EOI from individuals and groups in participating in the event. Go to www.generatefestival.com.au for more details.
12. Redcliffe Show on Friday 29, Saturday 30 June and Sunday 1 July. Entries close on Friday 8 June. For more details, read the article in this newsletter.
13. Geoff Crispin at Makers Gallery, Clayfield, from Wednesday 4 to Saturday 28 July during gallery hours. Go to www.makersgalleryaustralia.com for details.
14. The Australian National Brooch Show by Contemporary artists & craftspeople Australia wide from Friday 6 July to Friday 31 August at Fitzroy Library, 128 Moor Street Fitzroy Vic. Entries close on Friday 22 June. For more details go to www.contemporaryartssociety.org.au.
15. Create a series of Objects to form a collection with Anne Mossman on Saturday 7, Sunday 8 and Monday 9 July at Gold Coast Potters, cnr Ashmore Rd and Carrara St Benowa.
Visit www.goldcoastpotters.com for details.
16. Raku Firing Day with Beaudesert Potters on Saturday 14 July. Cost: $195 including morning/afternoon tea and lunch. Contact Fran Clancy on 0419 649 044 or Ruth Armstrong on 5543 2091.
17. CAQ’s Toolkit #4 The Ian Currie Memorial Lecture with Paul Davis on Sunday 22 July at RQAS, 162 Petrie Terrace City from 9.30am to 4pm. Cost: Members $85, Non-Members $120.
18. Matthew Flinders Fine Art Prize 2018 from Friday 27 July to Friday 17 August at Bribie Island Community Arts Centre. Entries close on Saturday 30 June. Fees will be $30 per artwork for members and $40 for non-members. Prizes include $5,000 for the first prize to $500 for the people’s choice award. Contact www.bribieartscentre.com.au for details.
19. 2018 Biennial North Queensland Ceramic Awards from Friday 27 July to Sunday 16 September. Application extended to Monday 30 April. Go to North Queensland Potters website.
20. 12th Melbourne Teapot Exhibition at The Stonehouse Gallery on Thursday 2 to Friday 31 August. Entry close on Wednesday 28 February. For details email to email@example.com.
21. Art teachers professional development day introducing Art in Clay on Friday 3 August, 8.30am to 3.30pm at 4 the Potters’ Place, 173 Ashmore Rd, cnr Ashmore Rd and Carrara St Benowa. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
22. Australian Ceramics Open Studios (ACOS) by TACA on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 August from 10am to 4pm. EOI deadline is Monday 9 July. Visit www.australianceramics.com for details. Early bird deadline is Monday 21 May.
23. Annual Members Exhibition & $2000 Siliceous Award by CAQ at BIA Windsor from Thursday 30 August to Tuesday 11 September. The opening night on Friday 31 August at 6pm. More details go to ceramicartsqld.org.au.
24. The Toowoomba Biennial Emerging Artist Award by Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery from Saturday 1 September to Sunday 28 October. Entries close 5pm Thursday 24 May. Up to $15,000 is available for acquisition. Go to www.tr.qld.gov.au for details.
25. Ceramic Cup Competition, 2nd Australian Tea Cultural Seminar in Melbourne from Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 September. Go to www.austcs.org for details.
26. Swell Sculpture Festival from Friday 14 to Sunday 23 September at Currumbin. For details, go to www.swellsculpture.com.au. Entries close on Thursday 15 March.
27. CAQ’s Toolkit #5 with Pru Morrison on De-mystifying Terra-Sigillata on Sunday 14 October at RQAS from 9.30am to 4pm.
28. Ceramic Conference Victoria from Friday 29 to Sunday 31 March 2019 at Yarra Valley Estate. For more details and booking, go to ceramicconferencevictoria.com.
29. Holding Space, Making Place, The 15th Australian Ceramics Triennale, in Hobart, Tasmania from 1 to 4 May 2019 with TACA Members’ Exhibition 2019. Submissions closed on Thursday 1 May 2018. For more details, go to www.australianceramicstriennale.com.au.